Call for Applications: AFRIKA KOMMT! Fellowship 2016-2018
Deadline for applications is 3 February 2017.
The fellowship program targets highly qualified young professionals and junior executives from Sub-Saharan Africa with several years of work experience, strong leadership qualities and a high level of dedication. AFRIKA KOMMT! is an initiative of German industry for future leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa and offers the opportunity of a one-year experience in Germany, including an eight-month internship in a leading German enterprise.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship program aims at highly qualified, self-driven young professionals and junior executives from Sub-Saharan Africa with several years of hands-on work experience, strong leadership qualities and a very high level of commitment and dedication.
Candidates need to fulfil the following formal eligibility requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject (please see individual company profiles below)
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) is an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically fit
- Female candidates are welcome
Business-driven capacity development
19 leading German enterprises founded the initiative AFRIKA KOMMT! in the year 2008 - the very first joint-initiative for capacity building by German industry.?After the success of the first five program cycles, the sixth AFRIKA KOMMT! intake will follow on seamlessly with the application phase starting 12 December 2016.
Win-win situation: benefits for both sides
At the heart of the AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship program is an eight-months practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies - a classic win-win situation:
The program fellows benefit through
- gaining first-hand practical experience in a leading German enterprise
- being exposed to leadership concepts and management techniques in practics
- becoming acquainted with working processes and business culture in German enterprises
- extending their international management competencies
- initiating networks of cooperation partners between Sub-Saharan Africa and German companies
The partner companies benefit through
- establishing networks of cooperation and trust in promising future markets in Sub-Saharan Africa
- extending their experience with the working and business culture in Sub-Saharan Africa
- improving their knowledge about cultures, markets, countries etc. in Sub-Saharan Africa
Key elements of AFRIKA KOMMT!
Financed by the German partner companies, the capacity development program AFRIKA KOMMT! is conducted in German and consists of the following key components:
- One-month home-based intensive German language preparation course
- One-year stay in Germany comprising of:
- Three-months intensive German language course
- Eight-months internship in a German partner company
- Three one-week training modules on international management and leadership competencies
- One-week study tour in Germany on relevant subjects, e.g. “Regional Economic Development”
- Weekend seminars on cultural and social subjects organised by the Robert Bosch Stiftung in
- Stuttgart and the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius in Hamburg
- Cultural weekend activities organised by GIZ
- Six-months transfer phase after the stay in Germany via GIZ’s online platform Global Campus 21
- Refresher course in Africa, approx. 6-12 months after the stay in Germany, offering the former fellows to extend their networks with other alumni and to mutually benefit from their experiences.
Recommendation: Please apply as soon as possible and not at the very end of the application period as the expected high number of applications might cause technical delays.
Four steps to apply
If you want to apply for the sixth AFRIKA KOMMT! intake from 2016-2018, please make sure you follow the four steps listed below:
- Step 1: Check the general candidate requirements – do you fit the criteria?
- Step 2: Check the available placements and required profiles of the sixth intake of AFRIKA KOMMT! 2016-2018 – Please remember you are applying for the program in general, not for a specific placement
- Step 3: Visit the homepage and fill in the application form: APPLICATION FORM
- Step 4: Submit your application BEFORE 03.02.2017, 23.59h CET – applications submitted after this date cannot be considered
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH
Regional Office North Rhine-Westphalia
Frau Lydia Jebauer-Nirschl
40213 Düsseldorf, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0)211 – 8689 - 166
Fax: +49 (0)211 – 8689 - 151